Please see the information below for information about Carver Public Schools’ Chromebooks under the following headers:
- Chromebook Repairs during COVID-19 School Closure
- Chromebook Insurance
- Parent Helps for Technology Use
- Cases and Chargers
- Chromebook FAQ’s
- Chromebook Loaner Process for Students
Any additional questions can be addressed to your student’s building principal.
Procedure for Chromebook Repairs
For damaged devices, parents must file a claim by calling or emailing Securranty. Please be sure to locate your serial number on the bottom of your device and let the representative know that you are a parent at Carver Public Schools.
- To file a claim by telephone, please contact Securranty at 832-304-2015
- To file a claim by email, please contact [email protected] and be sure to attach the claim form found below ensure accuracy in shipping.
Claim Form By Email- Carver
Parents will ship the device to Securranty for repair using the provided prepaid shipping label. Securranty will repair your device and return it to you via mail. In some cases, your device may be replaced. Your device should arrive pre- configured.
For questions regarding chromebook issues, please email [email protected] where some limited technical troubleshooting advice can be offered. Please note that telephone technical support is not available during this time.
Parent Helps for Technology Use
There are many resources to help parents set limits and navigate the discussions about how and when technology use is appropriate.
- COMMON SENSE MEDIA
- AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS TOOLKIT
- CARVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS DIGITAL LITERACY RESOURCES
Cases and Chargers
Two different models of Chromebooks have been purchased during the two phases of a multiyear plan. We purchase the most fiscally responsible model each year and therefore, the Chromebook your child receives is dependent on their year of graduation (see below). Every Chromebook comes with one charger and if a student loses their charger it will need to be replaced by the student. Please note that cases are not provided to students. Students may not decorate their Chromebook unless they purchase a case for it. If a student wishes to purchase a case, please use the specs as follows:
FAQ’s regarding Chromebooks at CMHS:
How do I purchase insurance?
The cost of insurance has been covered by the school for the 2020-2021 school year. Parents do not need to submit payment for insurance this year.
How will CMHS be using Chromebooks for learning? A visioning process took place beginning August 2015 to develop a technology vision and how integrating technology can improve student learning. The Carver Technology Vision Plan details a three- year proposed roll out to support student learning.
What is the process for new students to receive a Chromebook
- Your principal has communicated a distribution schedule. Please contact Michael Schultz or Ruby Maestas with further questions.
What is the penalty box? This is a feature of the Chromebook filtering software. It will only allow students to visit a select few web sites, eg Google Classroom, Google Drive, and Jupiter Ed — and nothing else.
How does a student enter the penalty box? Technology puts the student into the penalty box via the filtering console. This will only be done at the request of a teacher or administrator, who should also provide an end date.
What should a student do if their Chromebook is broken? The student should follow the directions above to file an insurance claim with Securranty.
What is the procedure for students who withdraw from our school who were given a Chromebook? They should give their Chromebook and charger to their building’s main office with their withdrawal papers before leaving school.
What are the steps for a student to borrow a Chromebook?
There are no loaner chromebooks available at this time. Please promptly file an insurance claim to have your student’s device quickly repaired.
What to do if a student damages a loaner? Once it is reported to administration, an administrator will contact the student’s parent and make them aware of the incident. If we are able to determine the student has damaged the loaner they will be required to repair or replace.
Chromebook Long Term Loaner / Repair Process:
- Student reports broken Chromebook to the Main Office Staff.
- Office staff will perform basic basic troubleshooting (i.e. restarting the device)
- If the device can not be fixed with troubleshooting measures, the student should leave the device with the main office staff who will complete the Chromebook Repair Request Form for the Technology Department to log, pick up and send out for repair.
- The student will be given a “Chromebook Long Term Loaner User Agreement” form. This form requires the signature of both the student and parent/guardian(s) agreeing to be responsible for any damage to the loaner device.
- The student should return the signed “Chromebook Long Term Loaner User Agreement” form to the main office, at which time a member of the main office staff can move forward with providing a loaner Chromebook for the student.
Once the Device Has Returned from Repair…
- Technology will return the repaired device to the main office.
- The office staff will call the student down to return their loaner device and receive the repaired device back.
Note: The student cannot receive the repaired device until the loaner Chromebook and its accompanying charger has been returned.