Student Work Permits
TEEN WORK PERMIT PROCESS
From the Massachusetts Division of Occupational Safety
On January 3, 2007, significant amendments were made to the Massachusetts Child Labor Laws, G.L. c. 149, §§53-105. These amendments were effective immediately. The amendments affect minors’ working hours, provide for certain additional required supervision, streamline the work permit process, strengthen existing criminal penalties and also allow for civil penalties in the event of violations. A complete summary of the Massachusetts laws regulating child labor, including the recent changes, may be found on the Youth Employment Page on the MA Division of Occupational Safety (DOS) website: http://www.mass.gov/dos/youth
As a result of this legislation, there is now a single application and permit process for all teen workers ages 14 through 17.
1. Students can obtain a copy of this permit application at the Middle and High School Guidance Offices (60 South Meadow Rd.), Superintendent’s Office
(3 Carver Square. Blvd.) or download from www.carver.org.
2. The application for a permit needs to be completed in full BEFORE a work permit can be issued.
3. All students, ages 14-17, must have their employer or authorized agent complete the Promise of Employment section and have a parent/guardian sign the application. ONLY 14-15 year olds are required to complete the Physicians Certificate of Health section.
4. When the application is complete, the student must personally come to the
Superintendent’s Office. (Office hours 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. – -Mon.-Fri.) A certified birth certificate is required as proof of age (a learner’s permit, drivers license or passport may also be used). A work permit will be issued from the data provided in the application.
5. A work permit is required for each and every job held until the age of 18.
Once the Superintendent’s Office has a permit on file for the student (minor), the student will not have to bring in proof of birth for each additional permit, however, the minor will need to sign each permit.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Superintendent’s Office at 508-866-6160.